At Kirkstall Precision Engineering, we fully understand the power of direct integration and getting out and meeting people face-to-face. After all business is all about human interactions, and while there is a trend these days for virtual meetings, the power of meeting face-to-face offers something more… human!
We were therefore delighted to hear that the newly appointed (May of this year) Mayor of West Yorkshire’s office was reaching out to us, to arrange a visit along with a member from the Leeds City Region Enterprise Partnership (LEP), after hearing all about the great things we are doing.
The Mayor of West Yorkshire is a directly elected mayor responsible for the metropolitan county of West Yorkshire. The mayor has responsibility for transport, housing and planning, and finance powers, as well as the functions of the Police and Crime Commissioner. As the Chair of the Combined Authority and Leeds City Region Enterprise Partnership (LEP), the Mayor works with partners across the region and beyond to deliver regeneration and economic development, and co-ordinate the long-term programmes that will transform West Yorkshire.
The Mayor also brings the region greater influence within Government at national level, including on economic recovery, the power to shape Government policy and access further funding.
Taking a real interest in Kirkstall Precision’s world of precision engineering
The visit was originally booked in for 30 minutes, but such is the depth of the amazing work we do here at Kirkstall Precision, the Mayor insisted on staying longer so she could discover:
- More about the requirements of the Medical Technology Sector and our ability to meet these requirements.
- How we helped the Government during the pandemic by manufacturing ventilator parts at cost and to incredibly tight deadlines.
- More about our apprentice academy and partnerships with Leeds University Technical College and Leeds City College.
- The Mayor took the time to tour our full facility and meet all our new apprentices, R&D graduate and other members of staff and also discover how we are encouraging more women into precision engineering.
- We lifted the lid on all the work we do in the medical engineering sector from hip and knee joints to spine instruments and bone screws.
- Learn more about the great work we do locally to support local companies including Rhodes Music Group who manufacturer the world-renowned Rhodes Keyboards.
- We showcased the wide range of work we do in other sectors from oil and gas to veterinary and marine.
Speaking about the visit, Kirkstall Precision Engineering MD, Iqbal Bahia said: “To get such a visit showcases to us that there is a real interest in making locally based businesses a success. We’ve received a great deal of assistance from the West Yorkshire Combined Authority and are incredibly grateful that The Lord Mayor took the time to visit us.”
Adding to this, Kirkstall’s CEO, Adam Thornton said: “We are proud to be a Leeds and Yorkshire based business and from helping women and young people into the engineering sector to aiding local and government initiatives, to amaze someone like The Lord Mayor of West Yorkshire with everything we are doing was a very special moment for the entire business.”
Take a look at some images below from the visit: